Epcot Food & Wine Festival Mexico Booth Shrimp Tacos
These were probably one of my favorites at last years Food & Wine fest! They are super easy to make (you can find this and other recipes from Food & Wine fest on the Disney World site although I bought the festival cookbook when I was there and used that). The only thing I changed is the chipotle mayo which I couldn't get quite right so I substituted it for a spicy mayo I love (if you would like to keep your tacos true to the original recipe you mix 2/3 cups mayo with a pureed 7.5 oz can of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce).
Spicy Mayonnaise Ingredients:
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Sriracha
2 teaspoons white vinegar
Coarse salt, to taste
Shrimp Tempura Ingredients:
Vegetable oil for frying
1 egg white
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon parsley, dried
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup water
1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined, with tails removed (approximately 30-35 shrimp)
Shrimp Tacos Ingredients:
10 (6-inch) flour tortillas
3 cups shredded red cabbage (I used a mix of cabbage, lettuce, carrots that I love from Mann's)
3/4 cup favorite salsa verde
For Spicy Mayonnaise:
1. Mix mayonnaise, vinegar, and Sriracha. Add salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate.
For Shrimp Tempura:
1. Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil to 375ÚF in a deep fryer.
2. Beat egg white in a small bowl until frothy and light. Do not overbeat. Set aside.
3. Mix together flour, cornstarch, salt, parsley, paprika, baking powder, garlic powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Add water and egg white; mix until smooth.
4. Add shrimp and toss until fully covered with batter.
5. Drop 6 to 8 at a time in hot oil. Do not overcrowd. Fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove fried shrimp and drain on paper towels.
1. Spread 1 heaping tablespoon of mayonnaise on flour tortilla and place 3 shrimp down middle. Top with small handful of cabbage and drizzle with salsa verde.