I stumbled on a s'mores cupcake recipe on AllRecipes.com that was a modified version of one from Betty Crocker. I found that when I altered it just a little I was able to recreate a very close to the real thing version of the Disney favorite!
All you need is (love and):
1 box chocolate cake mix and ingredients to prepare it
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
4 bars (1.55 oz each) milk chocolate candy
1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons milk
1 bar (1.55 oz) milk chocolate candy, if desired
1. Make cake batter as directed on box
2. Fold in graham cracker crumbs
3. Divide HALF the batter evenly among muffin cups.
4. Add a few mini marshmallows and a couple pieces of chocolate to the center of each cupcake.
5. Divide the remaining batter into muffin cups.
6. Bake however long your box of mix suggests until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool COMPLETELY!
7. In large bowl, beat marshmallow creme, butter and powdered sugar on low-speed until blended.
8. Beat in enough milk, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, to make the frosting spreadable.
9. Spread over the tops of the cupcakes.
10. For garnish: Divide your remaining chocolate bar into rectangles and place on top of each cupcake.