The Butterfinger Cupcakes at Starring Rolls Cafe in Disney Hollywood Studios is a fan favorite. Last year when I was on a baking kick I decided to take my chances and give a recipe I found online a try. You can find the original recipe posted over on A Disney Mom’s Thoughts. And I’ve added any updates/changes I made as I wrote out the recipe. My Disney recipe recreation has been features on Mouze Kateerz and Chip & Co.
Starring Rolls Cafe Butterfinger Cupcakes
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake mix, plus ingredients to make cake
- 1 batch butter cream frosting
- 1 can fudge frosting
- 4 cups chocolate chips
- 6 Tbsp canola oil 3
- King Size Butterfingers (or a bag of miniatures)
Quick Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
1. Prepare cupcakes as stated on the box. Let cupcakes cool completely. This is a good time to make your frosting, since you will have approximately an hour of baking and cooling. (You can also purchase frosting or use a favorite recipe, this is what I used for my cupcakes, however.)
2. Using a sharp knife, cut a cone shape out on top of the cupcake. Make sure the cut goes about halfway into the cupcake. Remove the cake and fill the hole with fudge frosting. Add the cake you removed to the top of the cupcake, making sure that the pointy cone end is sticking up.
3. Ice your cupcakes. Let the frosting set for about 30 minutes. I used a piping bag for half of my cupcakes and a knife for the other half, as it seemed to get easier as time passed, but you can work with whatever you have on hand.
5. Combine the chocolate chips and oil in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Heat on HIGH for 1 minute. Stir and continue to heat at 30 second intervals until completely melted. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before using.
6. Dip the frosted cupcakes into the chocolate. I used a spoon to hold the frosting into place to make sure it didn’t fall off the cupcake (I highly recommend this and you will see what I mean when you're working if it doesn't make sense right now). Immediately coat the cupcake with the crumbled Butterfinger bits.. Repeat until all cupcakes are dipped and covered.
7. Refrigerate approximately 1 hour to allow the chocolate to set. Then enjoy! Nom!