Boardwalk Bakery Chocolate Chip Crumbcakes
One of my favorite hobbies besides going to Disney Parks and photography is baking! I just love to bake! My Disney recipes have been previously featured on Chip and Company and Mouze Kateerz. I wanted to put all of my Disney kitchen adventures in one place so it would be easy for all my readers to find the recipes they would like to recreate! I thought creating a column here on Picturing Disney would make it nice and easy for you to access all of the recipes in one spot and I could add some commentary to the previously posted articles.
Without and further rambling my first recipe is from the Boardwalk Bakery!
When I stayed at the Boardwalk Inn for the first time in 2008 I picked up one of the official Walt Disney World cookbooks just so I could make the delicious Crumbcakes!
With some advice from the chef over on the Disney Food Blog I decided to make these as cupcakes and they have been such a big hit the last few years I have probably made them 2 dozen times! Below is the adjusted recipe from the cookbook (if you find this recipe elsewhere omit the lemon extract because it really messes with the taste and I had to completely throw out my first attempt at these because of it)!
These are really easy and made completely from scratch. Even if you are a novice baker you can pull these off and they are so rich that people are sure to love them!
1 1/2 cups + 2 tbsp cake flour
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 sticks of butter (softened)
1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a medium bowl combine: 1 cup plus 2 tbsp of the cake flour with cornstarch and baking powder
3. Using an electric mixer, beat 1 cup sugar, 1 cup plus 2 tbsp butter, 1/2 tsp vanilla together in a medium bowl until light and creamy.
4. Then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Before last egg add 2-3 tbsp of flour mixture. Beat until creamy once again.
5. Fold in remaining flour mixture with spatula.
6. Stir in chocolate chips!*
7. In a small bowl (or in your now empty medium bowl that used to hold the flour mixture like I did), mix together remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tbsp butter, and 3/4 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup flour with a fork. This should be crumbly. (Note: I had to make double of this to be happy with the amount of crumbs on my crumbcupcakes!)
8. Spray cupcake pan or add liners. Then fill the cupcake pan with batter. (I filled to 3/4 and ended up with 18 cupcakes.) Sprinkle crumb mixture generously over top of cupcakes.9. Bake 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (edges are lightly browned)
*I bought a package of the chocolate & peanut chips mix when I made these once and didn't realize until I was baking. This variation tasted amazing so if you are a PB fan def give it a try!